Wednesday 22 May 2013

It's all in the name

Come on. Admit it. You have a name for your car don't you.

We love our cars (except when they break down and cost us lots of money. See my very first post here for the eye watering detail).

We spend an awful lot of time in them too. So it only goes to reason that we want to personify them by giving them a name.

Vauxhall have tried to play on this emotional attachment by launching their latest offering as Adam. Apparently it's a tribute to the founder of their sister company, Adam Opel. Personally, I am looking forward to the launch of Eve which I think will be much better model ;)

Our family fun bus has a name. It's Elvis. Why? It's red. And my toddler is obsessed with Fireman Sam. And, well, Jupiter was just too big a name to live up to.

Thinking about it now it probably wasn't the best choice of name. Elvis Cridlington in Fireman Sam is a bit of a calamity, always breaking things and generally ballsing up while the one and only Elvis died on the loo blowing a gasket. Hmmm, I hope the name doesn't turn out to be a self fulfilling prophecy.

My previous cars all had names too:

1998 VW T4 Transporter - Ron Burgundy. As in The Anchorman. As in 'Hey, everyone! Come see how great I look'. Pic below. No further explanation needed.

2002 VW Golf GT TDi - Vinnie. As in Vinnie Jones. As in one hell of a mean machine. It certainly was emotional having to watch him being driven away by his new, lucky, owner.

1996 Vauxhall Corsa - Cory (the Corsa). Original. It was my first car, ok, and my inspiration came from my first pet. A hamster, called Hammie. You'll be relieved to hear my kids do not follow this naming trend.

The folks at at VW Bus T4/T5+ Magazine today put a shout out on Twitter (follow them @VWBusMag or visit www.vwbusmagazine.com) to help a fellow T5 owner struggling to name his bus. The good people of the T-scene shared their van name thinking in droves; Farley, Betty, Dennis, Oscar, Scarlet, Vader, Mrs Slocome...

There really are some great, and inspired, vdub names out there. Wish we had thought ours through a little bit more, but we are stuck with it now.

Ah, well. Let's hope Elvis has 'A little less fight and a little more spark' next time I try to start him up.

What did you name your car and why? Let me know by tweeting me @t5for5 or posting a comment below.

One life, drive it.

No comments:

Post a Comment