Tuesday 28 May 2013

Wave after wave of embarrassment

Did you know what the Shaka was in my last post, or did you look it up on Wikipedia? (Refresh yourself here).

If you did, then you'll know us friendly VW van owners give each other a little wave, flash or quick hands up as we pass each other on the road. It's like an imaginary high five recognising each other's mutual coolness.

Thing is, you only do it to proper bona fide members of the VW scene. You don't give the signal to any old Bob the Builder travelling by in his work van.

And that's where we get unstuck at the mo. Despite the DRL lights (devilish sporty looking Audi-like headlights with sparkly LEDs), fat steel side bars and tinted side windows, we have still got commercial steels and our bumpers are not colour coded. In short we are a builders ride with Botox.

As a result sometimes we get a wave, and other times we give a wave and are left hanging. Awkward.

Our daily commute takes us past, what I am told, is a well known dogging spot. I'm very careful not to give any sort of signal whilst driving along this stretch of road as I don't want to inadvertently give anyone some secret coded come on.

I don't just partake in the Shaka ritual. I also enjoy giving truckers' signals too. No, I'm not talking about flicking the Vs (although when the road rage takes me I have been known to give the odd two-fingered salute or two, or three).

Basically when a HGV flashes you to let you know it's safe to move back into the lane when overtaking you pull in then give them a quick left right left of your indicator. Usually your new HGV buddy gives you a flash back for your efforts.

I am far more successful at the truckers' signal than the Shaka at the moment. So to save the red face I might shelve Shaka-ing until the van is fully converted.

In the meantime if you see me, do give me a wave as I promise I will flash back.

The lights...the lights!  Jeez, you lot have dirty minds.

One life, drive it.

3 comments:

  1. One way to get a wave back is to wear a bra - no not that type! - a bonnet bra. I use ours on long journeys and it seems to increase the numbers of return-waves from fellow van folk.

    http://stone174.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/new-bra-fitting.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. A ha! Thanks for the heads up, Richard. My husband will be most pleased when I tell him we need to go bra shopping the weekend ;)

    I take it the 'racier' the better? Lol.

    On a serious note I have seen a few people getting their bonnets carbon dipped. Looks great but imagine v expensive.

    Your van looks great. It's the type of thing we are aspiring too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that. Should we meet up at a show, you're more than welcome to have a right good nosey around it!

      Another option would be to have the bonnet vinyl 'wrapped'. Just make sure you choose a good company to do it as cheap wrapping will pull the paint off should you wish to change it at a later date.

      Delete